Tuesday 21 October 2008

Diarra - a big doubt for Braga



Lassana Diarra is a worrying doubt ahead of Thursday's opening group E Uefa cup match against Braga, after picking up a knee injury three weeks ago.

Diarra, was due to return to training today, the last training session before the team fly out to Portugal tomorrow.

The French international has been a big part of Pompey's midfield this season, and Redknapp isn't willing to risk him ahead of sunday's clash against Fulham at home, a game in which Sean Davis will sit out due to last weekend's sending off.

Diarra has'nt lost in 29 cup games since coming to England, and those fans travelling to Braga on Thursday are hoping that it wouldn't have ended there.

Redknapp told the News, 'Lassana has an inflammation of the knee and has been told to rest, which he has done. Hopefully he will have trained today.

'The worry is, though, he has lost 10 days of fitness, so you've got to ask yourself whether he's ready to be thrown back in there against Braga.

'I wouldn't take that chance if there was any doubt. We've got a busy time coming up and I can't afford him breaking down.

'I definitely want him for Sunday. We've got Fulham at home and the league is important to us still, without doubt.

'We've got games Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday. You've got to be careful – you don't want injuries during that time. I've got to look at it game by game.

'I've got to decide whether I risk Lassana or not. I'm not going to gamble on him, though. I just can't do that.'

No comments: