Sunday 2 November 2008

Pompey Rumours 02/11/08


Picture: http://home22.inet.tele.dk

Portsmouth manager Tony Adams wants to sign his former Arsenal team-mate Patrick Vieira.

Adams plans to contact Inter Milan manager Jose Mourinho about signing the France international who played alongside him in the Arsenal team that won the Double in 1998 and 2002.
He said: "He is definitely a player I'd like to bring here if he was available.
"I will be speaking to Inter manager Jose Mourinho and asking about him.
"With Patrick you know what you are getting, he is a proven winner and a great character." - ITN.co.uk

Europe's richest man, Rinat Akhmetov, has turned down the opportunity to buy Portsmouth.
An intermediary acting for the club last month approached representatives of System Capital Management, the holding company that controls Akhmetov's other businesses, with a prospectus, but was rebuffed immediately. - The Guardian

Martin Keown could be reunited with his former Arsenal and England teammate Tony Adams at Portsmouth.
The 42-year-old has confirmed that he is scheduled to meet the new Pompey boss next week to discuss joining the coaching staff at Fratton Park.

"If I can help in any way it's something I'm prepared to look at," Keown told the BBC. "That's why we're going to meet.
"I need to decide if it's something for me to do in my career. I'm quite comfortable at the moment at the BBC and it would be quite a life-changing decision to go back into football."

Meanwhile, Joe Jordan is still to decide whether his future lies at the south coast club. The 56-year-old Scot, who starred for Leeds United, Manchester United and AC Milan during a 20-year playing career, was believed to have been interested in becoming Harry Redknapp's successor as Pompey boss.

Adams said: "The first-team coaching staff needs to be done by the end of next week because we're a man down at the moment.

"I don't think it's appropriate to go into too much detail at the moment. I'm in talks with Joe and I'll have another conversation with him and see what role he wants.
"That will dictate what type of coach the new person will be. I love Joe. I cannot speak highly enough about him and he's Portsmouth through and through."

No comments: